Soap Dish Forum

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> does anyone make soap for cancer patients?
zoeb nj
post Mar 27 2003, 01:57 PM
Post #1
forum guru

My daughter was talking with a woman who makes soap and creams for cancer patients--this seemed like a nice thing to to--has anyone done this?

I think I remember Fudge saying her sister souldn't tolerate any fragrance at all--any other no nos or musts?
xxx

--------------------
A cake of new clean lemon soap arises, diffusing light and perfume.

ULYSSES--James Joyce

user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FoamyFreedom
post Mar 27 2003, 02:03 PM
Post #2
forum guru

I was on a cancer site yesterday looking for info and they also said to use soaps w/no fragrance. HTH!
xxx

--------------------
FoamyFreedom - the witch
"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
+Quote Post
SparrowsNest
post Mar 27 2003, 02:07 PM
Post #3
regular

I'm intrested in this as well Because My aunt and dh's grandmother are both going through radiation. My aunt is useing one of my olive oil soaps just olive and caster oil she just started useing it so I'm not sure how it is working for her yet. she was useing netragena that the DR told her to use and it dried her skin out even more then the radiation was doing before she started useing that soap. her radiation is on her face and in her mouth and she had such a bad reaction that they had to stop both the radiation and the khemo because the dry skin on her face has become infected. So my mom asked the DR if it would be ok for her to start useing my soap onmy aunts face and he told her as long as it was olive oil and no color or fragrance it should be ok we are really hopeing that my soap will help her because if her skin dosn't clear up soon she will not be able to resume Radiation.
I will be following this thread for more info on what I might be able to make that will help her.
Rose
xxx
+Quote Post
Ronniner
post Mar 27 2003, 03:17 PM
Post #4
forum guru

I am interested in this also, so I'll try to bump this up for you.
Bumpity bumpity bump bump!
xxx

--------------------
Ron
"I have to go practice now!"
+Quote Post
Lianne
post Mar 27 2003, 07:10 PM
Post #5
thread junkie

Now this is something I know about! Unfortunately as usual there are no answers that can be generalized, as chemo and radiation effect everyone so differently. There are a bizillion chemo drugs and combinations of drugs, so nothing is predictable. As someone who spent last year doing a lot of both chemo and radiation, I can tell you that unscented, highly moisturizing, and very gentle are a place to start. But, as with everything, different products are going to appeal to different people with different side effects. Some lucky people, of which I was NOT one :roll: , have very little trouble with chemo and radiation, so their ordinary stuff is fine for them. Others, not so much. Of course, unscented may not mean much. My unscented GM soap smelled like fish to me while I was on chemo. I loved my spearmint eo goatmilk, and one of the fos I had which was an apple pear. Neither was strong, and both smelled good to me. Anything that was strongly scented, no matter what it was, made me ill. But mostly, things smelled like fish. Or low tide. (Especially vegetables...but that is a whole other thread :) )

Chemo can make many people's skin sort of parchmenty, so keeping it protected and well hydrated is really important. Like someone above was saying, even the slightest scratch or rash can become a huge problem so it is really important to take extra special care of the skin. And one thing to note is that an inadequately preserved product can land a person on chemo in the hospital very quickly. So be extra careful to provide things that are fresh and properly preserved.

As for radiation, it is really important to advise people to LISTEN TO THEIR TEAM as to what products they should and should not use ON THE TREATMENT AREA DURING the course of treatment. The reason they are so fussy about what you use is that the refractive properties of most products have either not been tested, or have been tested and found to be dangerous to use. No matter how good my own products are, I was not going to risk those radiation beams getting bounced to places they were not supposed to go! Don't tell them to go against that advice no matter how good you think your stuff is. Now, when the treatments are over, OH HAPPY SKIN :D it is ok to use good stuff again. The side effects to the skin tend to get worse for another 3 weeks or so before they get better. For me, the thinner and more easily spreadable the product was the better. I would not even think of using anything thick that required rubbing, like a body butter or salve. I used straight emu a lot of the time, or emu with some vitE. It worked really well for me, but again different things work for different people. But something that can be applied with the least amount of pressure would be best I think. Other oils, like rosehip seed, would probably be good too. Once things have healed up more, then other products will be fine. I would say creams that are unscented or lightly boosted with healing eos like maybe lavender would be best for the radiated area once the side effects are over.

Oh, and one more thing about scents and chemo...what smells good one day might make you sick the next, so a few choices might be helpful. And don't be insulted if the person who loved your XXXX soap during chemo can't even look at it when their treatment is done. It happens with a lot of stuff.

I am not sure how helpful this was, because it is such an individual thing. Well, maybe just knowing that is helpful? Anyway if anything was confusing ask and I will try again.

Lianne
xxx
+Quote Post
Ronniner
post Mar 27 2003, 07:24 PM
Post #6
forum guru

Thanks Lianne,

What you wrote makes perfect sense.
Your skin is being tortured, so it is very much how the person is feeling and not the quality of the product being presented. Gocha!

So a moisturizing oil would be more soothing than a bar of something being rubbed against very tender skin.
xxx

--------------------
Ron
"I have to go practice now!"
+Quote Post
moonbeam
post Mar 27 2003, 08:55 PM
Post #7
fanatic

I have a customer that's on Chemo and it's very much as you said, you go from day to day. The last time she came I asked her how she was doing and she said "great today, I can walk around and feel pretty good". She had made a special trip to the Farmer's Market to get some of my GM baby soap, which she said was the ONLY thing she could use and told me to tell everybody that she loves it. Again, you have no fragrance/color and olive oil and aloe in it.

The day I saw her, it made all of what we do worth it, you know ?
xxx
+Quote Post
fudge
post Mar 27 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #8
forum guru

Lianne, your post was very good. When I was researching to make soap for my sister, I decided on specific oils because they would be more moisturizing. My choices were Avocado, Castor, Jojoba, Cocoa butter & palm. I used goatsmilk for the liquid. And did all unscented at her request. The soap has ended up being one of my best sellers, now because it is a good bar for those of us with "mature" skin. The avocado makes it a pricey bar, so someone else used the recipe and substituted olive for part of the avocado. That is a good oil for the skin, too, so worked well.

I also mixed some oils for her to use during radiation, but had her check with the Dr, etc before she used any of the products - just as you said - didn't want to have anything cause a bad effect/reaction. I used fractionated coconut oil because it is so easily absorbed to the skin, foraha for the healin properties, emu for healing properties and vitamin e. I have actually been using this same mixture on my face and forearms, too. I have tendonitis in both forearms, and it has helped me with the flareups. My sister didn't like the odor of the foraha and sent most of the oils back (more for me to use, lol) - but I had also given her some jojoba. Some days she would just put some jojoba on a pad and put that on the radiated area. It helped keep the skin soft - rather than the dried leather feel.

I think that my recipe is on the forum someplace, will try to do a search. Otherwise, if anyone wants what I used, I'll be glad to hunt for my printout and post it. I have given several bars of this soap to people going thru treatment and so far, everyone has appreciated it and been happy with using it. No negative feedback so far. Last batch I made I scented with green tea - I like that one.
xxx

--------------------
Practice random acts of kindness
+Quote Post
desi
post Mar 28 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #9
fanatic

I used fuges recipe and subed part of the avacado for Olive....I will look and see where I put that recipe..it was a good one
xxx
+Quote Post
Celene
post Mar 28 2003, 08:45 AM
Post #10

I have made soap and lotion for two people who were having chemo or radiation, and I provided the recipe and samples of the product for the physician to get approval before the patient used them. Because of all the permutations of medication and physical health, I felt better getting "the nod" from the doctor.

In both cases, the physician or oncologist felt that the products were fine, but with the commonsense warning that if they caused irritation, to stop using them. I have heard a lot of people say that chemo patients prefer unscented, and this was my experience as well.

The soap I made was an unscented, with olive, RBO, sweet almond, shea butter, avocado, coconut and castor. I did add goatsmilk powder to the mixture for one of the patients, she requested it and liked it very much.

HTH,

Celene
xxx
+Quote Post
M3Suds
post Mar 28 2003, 09:39 AM
Post #11
soap sister

This is a whole other aspect I need to look into. I didn't know until this morning that my Aunt was diagnosed with cancer. I have to get ALL the details from my cousin later when she gets off work...
So now I need recipes (I'll have to do some 'digging' later, I have a lot of last minute stuff to finish for this show tomorrow :crazy: )
xxx

--------------------
Soli Deo Gloria!
(To God alone be the Glory!)
+Quote Post
Galatea
post Mar 28 2003, 10:05 AM
Post #12
scent slut

I've made a soap and skin cream which were requested by customers on chemo amd/or with sensitivites to fragrances and various oils or butters. The soap is the 95/5 olive/castor castile, which I leave unscented. The skin cream is also unscented, but the customer had asked for something with no nut oils, because of multiple allergies.

So I made a cream with cyclomethicone and rice bran oil. No shea, no mango, no coco, no coconut, no soy...they didn't even want olive ("can't stand the smell in a cream")

I added vitamin E to the cream, and they seem to be able to tolerate it. It's unscented as well.

Rice is often used nutritionally for people with wheat and soy allergies, so I figured it would be pretty tolerable. I'll never say that anything is "hypoallergenic" but these two items seem to be effective and not irritating.
xxx

--------------------
Check out our New Fragrances! HERE NOW! Sheer Freesia! Instant Karma! Tuscan Tomato & Basil!
+Quote Post
Kathy
post Mar 29 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #13
enthusiast

This is just the info I needed. A good friend was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and will be starting chemo soon. I wanted to put together a box of soaps and lotions to pamper herself with. So I was busy today making some different unscented lotions for her (she loves her lotions). I'll add a couple of my more lightly scented soaps and see how she tolerates them as I have none that are unscented.
xxx

--------------------
Kathy
+Quote Post
CiaoBella
post Jun 1 2003, 12:40 AM
Post #14
forum guru

My M-I-L asked me about putting together a basket of my CP soaps together tomorrow :shock: ... for her boss who has just finished chemo for breast cancer.

I suddenly got panicked when I realized I better run over here and start hunting for info.!

:wink:

Trace
xxx
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Help Support the Soap Dish    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 06:16 PM